Friday, September 30, 2011

Fall is right around the corner

Tomorrow is October which finally means I can order pumpkin everything. I love seeing the leaves change color, pumpkins splattered across the city, scarfs and hats galore and the hype around Halloween. I've decided to be an avocado for Halloween.

My roommates and I started to the holiday season a little bit early this year. We made a pack to only watch scary movies for the month of October. I promise to make pumpkin and ghost pizzas for the girls. I'm going to make us a lime sherbet drink that pretty spooky to drink one night. I even borrowed, Rosemary's Baby, at the schools library.

Last night the girls and I rented a Japanese gore movie called Grotesque. No need for explain on that movie. At one point, I had to stop eating my popcorn because it was so disgusting. Along with the scary movie, we made cookies while I made...

Delicata Squash with cashew, almond and sage filling:

This is an amazing recipe for two and quite filling. If it would have been 20 degrees colder last night, this would have been pure perfection. 

Recipe:
2 tablespoons of butter
1 yellow onion chopped
1 teaspoon of Sage
1 glove of garlic
1 teaspoon of kosher salt (you can use regular salt, I just like kosher salt)
pepper to taste
1/2 cup of greek plain yogurt
1 handful of sliced almonds chopped
1 handful of cashews chopped
1 egg beaten
half a cup of parmesan cheese
1 delicata squash

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then melt the butter and add onions and garlic until softned. Add the sage for about a minute. Add the nuts into the pan and just stir for about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk egg, parmesan, salt and pepper and yogurt together. Next combine the onion, sage, garlic and nuts into the bowl and mix. Fill the squash (and this may take a while) and pop in the oven for about 50 minutes. And Viola, you have a tender squash to eat.

Bonus: Add a little of Balsamic to the squash and it's mouth watering.


Taking a mid morning nap... 


No comments:

Post a Comment